The Chinese University of HongKong, Shenzhen
Materials Science and Engineering (SSE)Bachelor
The major of Materials Science and Engineering aims to cultivate talents with remarkable academic performance and practical ability in materials-related fields. This program will provide students with rigorous and complete basic training in modern materials science, so that students can master the core knowledge system of Materials Science and Engineering, understand the ideas and methods of how materials science understand the world and correctly recognize the importance and potential development of this major. By doing so, it allows students to have a broad and solid knowledge foundation, the ability to learn independently and a sense of innovation, as well as the ability to participate in scientific research.
Materials Science and Engineering is one of the key construction disciplines of Guangdong Province in the Chinese University of Hong Kong (Shenzhen). It has gathered a group of world-class high-level talents with rich teaching and research experience. After graduation, students can go to world-class universities or institutions for postgraduate study or research. Or they can choose to go to enterprises, companies and schools to engage in scientific research, technological development, education and management in various fields, such as chemical, petrochemical, metallurgy, electronics, materials, energy, environmental protection, commodity inspection, medicine, public security, foreign trade, national defense and other related fields.
The required courses mainly include:
Introduction to Materials Science and Engineering, Principles of Chemical Engineering, Materials Chemistry, Materials Physics, Materials General Laboratory, Fundamentals of Spectroscopy, Microscopy and Chromatography, Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Properties of Materials, Engineering Economics and Management, Thermodynamics, Phase Transformations, Polymer Chemistry and Reaction Engineering, and Thesis.
1. High school graduate and above.
2. Non-Chinese citizens who hold a foreign passport and comply with the relevant regulations set by the “Document No. 12 (2020) of Ministry of Education of the PRC.".
3. Physically and mentally healthy.
4. Applicants under 18 years old (Per September 1st) should provide a letter of guarantee for their guardian in China (notarization required).
1. Passport: Please scan your passport ID page. If there is any additional or change of the name, please also provide the endorsement page.(bit.ly/ContohPassport) (bit.ly/ContohEndorsement)
2. Recent photo, with the following format: Recent full-faced photo (the head occupies 70% of the size of the photo); the aspect ratio is 4:3; white background without borders; the size must be between 100-500KB (*.jpg,*.jpeg). (bit.ly/Contoh_Photo)
3. Language Certificates
- For English-Taught program: IELTS with an overall score of 5.5/6.0 or TOEFL IBT 85 (subject to each university)
- For Chinese-Taught program: HSK 4-6 (level and minimum score are subject to each major and university)
4. High school diploma (for bachelor degree applicants) and Bachelor or Master diploma (for master and doctoral degree applicants), students who hasn’t graduated should provide an official statement from high school or university as a guarantee of the graduation date (Pre-Graduation Statement). (bit.ly/PreGraduationLetter) (bit.ly/PreGraduationLetter2)
5. High school transcripts (for bachelor degree applicants) and university transcripts (for master and doctoral degree applicants), page sorted from first semester to last or latest semester in one PDF file. Please contact your school to get ‘1 sheet’ kinds of transcripts. (bit.ly/ContohOnePageTranscript)
6. 2 (two) recommendation letters from your teachers in high school (for bachelor degree applicants) and two university professors (for master and doctoral degree applicants) along with letterhead, stamp from the school, and sign. Please also include the email and phone number of the recommenders.
7. Study Plan / Personal Statement, approximately 800 words (English/Mandarin) and must be signed with a clear name. You could check general personal statement points grid here (bit.ly/PoinPersonalStatement)
8. Additional requirements that apply vary from university to university, for example:
- Entrance Examination / Interview.
- Financial Statement (from Bank). (bit.ly/ContohFinancialCertificateProof)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV), you can check the sample or simply look up on google (bit.ly/Contoh_CurriculumVitae_CV)
- Certificate of Non-Criminal Record Report(SKCK) from the Local Indonesian Police. (bit.ly/ContohSKCK)
- Foreigner Physical Examination Form (Medical Check-up Report). (bit.ly/SayaratPengisianForm) (bit.ly/PhysicalExaminationForm)
- Documents number 4-6 above, MUST be translated into English / Mandarin by the school or a sworn translator, and need to be legalized.
- Please neatly SCAN each file in pdf format, the size must not be more than 1 MB (except the recent photo must comply with the requirements above), then upload everything into the system (www.greatwall.co.id).
1. Tuition Fee: RMB 115,000 (approximately USD $18,014).
2. Accommodation Fee: Annual accommodation fees RMB 1,200 (est USD $200). However most international students will receive a scholarship which includes accommodation.
3. Miscellaneous Study Fee: RMB 500 (est USD $80) per academic year.
4. Medical Insurance: RMB 320 (est USD $50) per academic year.
5. Textbooks: dependent on courses in addition to your study preferences, approximately RMB 1,200 (est USD $190).
6. Monthly expenses: dependent on lifestyle and preferences, approximately RMB 2,000 (est USD $315) should cover meals, power, water and entertainment.