The Chinese University of HongKong, Shenzhen
Data Science and Big Data Technology (SDS)Bachelor
Data Science and Big Data Technology provides a systematic curriculum of data collection, management, analysis, decision-making and etc. on the basis of mathematics and statistics foundations. Its contents include operations research, machine learning, optimization, operation management, decision science and other related interdisciplinary fields. In addition to these basic knowledge, our programme also cultivates students' ability to perform data analytics in a real environment through real case study and analysis of actual data.
Advantages and Features
First of all, we have a very strong faculty team - the team of professors of Data Science and Big Data Technology is composed of well-known scholars at home and abroad, all of whom have earned doctorates from world-class universities and have significant international influence in related fields of academia and industry. They have not only made outstanding achievements in research and won many international awards, but also have abundant teaching experience and cultivated lots of outstanding young talents.
Secondly, the major focuses on the combination of theory and application. It consists of one advanced data science field and four application fields, which are operations management, life science, computing and economics and finance. Upon building a solid foundation, students can also choose one or more fields based on their interests to learn how to apply data science in various fields. This education model can broaden students’ knowledge as well as improve their competitiveness in advanced study and employment.
This programme intends to provide the students with solid theoretical and algorithmic foundations and practical implementation skills in order to address real-world data science and big data challenges.
When the students successfully complete the programme, they will have acquired:
1. a rigorous foundation in the theory and methodology of data analysis and machine learning;
2. a solid command of the practical skills in implementing data analysis and machine learning algorithms;
3. the ability to tackle simple real-world applications of data analysis and machine learning, to explain and interpret the results to domain users for down-stream decision making.
Application Scope and Career Direction
Big data technology is widely applied in finance, IT, medical care, logistics, education and other industries. With the rapid development of the Internet, the market of big data-related industries keeps expanding and the talent gap is increasing. Graduated from this programme, students may choose their career direction according to their own interests or continue their studies at renowned universities across the world.
1. High school graduate and above.
2. Non-Chinese citizens who hold a foreign passport and comply with the relevant regulations set by the “Document No. 12 (2020) of Ministry of Education of the PRC.".
3. Physically and mentally healthy.
4. Applicants under 18 years old (Per September 1st) should provide a letter of guarantee for their guardian in China (notarization required).
1. Passport: Please scan your passport ID page. If there is any additional or change of the name, please also provide the endorsement page.(bit.ly/ContohPassport) (bit.ly/ContohEndorsement)
2. Recent photo, with the following format: Recent full-faced photo (the head occupies 70% of the size of the photo); the aspect ratio is 4:3; white background without borders; the size must be between 100-500KB (*.jpg,*.jpeg). (bit.ly/Contoh_Photo)
3. Language Certificates
- For English-Taught program: IELTS with an overall score of 5.5/6.0 or TOEFL IBT 85 (subject to each university)
- For Chinese-Taught program: HSK 4-6 (level and minimum score are subject to each major and university)
4. High school diploma (for bachelor degree applicants) and Bachelor or Master diploma (for master and doctoral degree applicants), students who hasn’t graduated should provide an official statement from high school or university as a guarantee of the graduation date (Pre-Graduation Statement). (bit.ly/PreGraduationLetter) (bit.ly/PreGraduationLetter2)
5. High school transcripts (for bachelor degree applicants) and university transcripts (for master and doctoral degree applicants), page sorted from first semester to last or latest semester in one PDF file. Please contact your school to get ‘1 sheet’ kinds of transcripts. (bit.ly/ContohOnePageTranscript)
6. 2 (two) recommendation letters from your teachers in high school (for bachelor degree applicants) and two university professors (for master and doctoral degree applicants) along with letterhead, stamp from the school, and sign. Please also include the email and phone number of the recommenders.
7. Study Plan / Personal Statement, approximately 800 words (English/Mandarin) and must be signed with a clear name. You could check general personal statement points grid here (bit.ly/PoinPersonalStatement)
8. Additional requirements that apply vary from university to university, for example:
- Entrance Examination / Interview.
- Financial Statement (from Bank). (bit.ly/ContohFinancialCertificateProof)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV), you can check the sample or simply look up on google (bit.ly/Contoh_CurriculumVitae_CV)
- Certificate of Non-Criminal Record Report(SKCK) from the Local Indonesian Police. (bit.ly/ContohSKCK)
- Foreigner Physical Examination Form (Medical Check-up Report). (bit.ly/SayaratPengisianForm) (bit.ly/PhysicalExaminationForm)
- Documents number 4-6 above, MUST be translated into English / Mandarin by the school or a sworn translator, and need to be legalized.
- Please neatly SCAN each file in pdf format, the size must not be more than 1 MB (except the recent photo must comply with the requirements above), then upload everything into the system (www.greatwall.co.id).
1. Tuition Fee: RMB 115,000 (approximately USD $18,014).
2. Accommodation Fee: Annual accommodation fees RMB 1,200 (est USD $200). However most international students will receive a scholarship which includes accommodation.
3. Miscellaneous Study Fee: RMB 500 (est USD $80) per academic year.
4. Medical Insurance: RMB 320 (est USD $50) per academic year.
5. Textbooks: dependent on courses in addition to your study preferences, approximately RMB 1,200 (est USD $190).
6. Monthly expenses: dependent on lifestyle and preferences, approximately RMB 2,000 (est USD $315) should cover meals, power, water and entertainment.