Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Visual Communication (Including Environmental Design)Bachelor
Students will initially be placed into a general-studies category as their major. After enrollment, they will be assigned at the direction of their school to a specific major.
The department of design is situated within a university defined by engineering excellence, and within the cross-disciplinary hub formed by the school of design. We focus on both engineering design and art design. We offer educators and students a global, cross-disciplinary platform for work and research. Our goal is to prepare multi-talented professionals for a new era of design.
Our department serves to promote innovative design education and practice by our students and faculty. In a nutshell, our students and faculty are the sort of people eager to produce major and innovative engineering projects. They play leading roles in high-caliber design research and practice.
At the same time, we continually strive to deepen and strengthen particular and unique aspects of education in the arts as part of our overall mission.
Our goal is to equip students with multiple skill sets. We strive to instill a forward looking and practical outlook amongst them. Towards these ends, we focus on education in multiple areas supported by an expansive platform for design research and practice. We are dedicated to constantly improving our educational environment. To do this we continuously seek to improve our teaching standards.
Our focus is teaching. In effect, our department provides a system for training talented people with cross-platform abilities. We aim to continuously strengthen our teaching environment, to strengthen our management of teaching standards, to promote research in pedagogy, and to promote participation in important design competitions.
Our central areas of research are intelligent design, information and interactive design, and sustainable ecological design. We also seek to spread and develop the theory of general design and of interdisciplinary design. This includes research into relevant design methodology and tools.
Our goal is to be a paramount source of design knowledge. We also aspire to further our excellent record of research into traditional design. Our research focus covers six general areas:
1) Product design and interactive design.
2) Visual communication and digital media arts.
3) Design strategies and management
4) Public art and design
5) Industrial design and intelligent design
6) The history and theory of design
Tracks for Undergraduate Education
1. The Industrial Design Track
Education consists of cross-disciplinary studies and research into design and technology. Our goal is to promote an innovative approach to engineering within a creative design environment. Our students are encouraged to look at projects with an eye towards innovation.
2. Visual Communication Track
In this track, students develop a strong foundation in brand design and brand dissemination. We equip students with the ability to integrate designs across platforms in the context of a creative design environment. In the process, students improve their ability to express concepts in multiple mediums.
3. Public Art and Placemaking Track
This track focuses on the design of public space. Students in the program aspire to improve physical space while being informed and grounded in cultural studies and urban sociology. The brings together human, environmental, ecological, technological and commercial fields.
1. High school diploma and above.
2. Non-Chinese citizens who hold a foreign passport and comply with the relevant regulations set by the “Document No. 12 (2020) of Ministry of Education of the PRC ".
3. Physically and mentally healthy.
1. Senior high school diploma or equivalent (2021 graduating students should provide an official statement from your high school as proof of graduation);
2. Passport information page (valid for more than 6 months).
3. Personal statement (with signature);
4. Two recommendation letters, at least one of which has to be provided by one of the teachers in the high school (with signature);
5. Academic certificate (including but not limited to):
5.1 High school transcripts (including all courses taken).
5.2 Test scores of the national high school graduation exam or college entrance exam in the country or region, such as SAT/ACT/IB/A-level/UEC, etc. If the above test results cannot be obtained at the time of application, an explanation must be provided.
6. Language proficiency certificate
6.1 Chinese language proficiency certificate. Provide at least one of the following materials: (a) HSK certificate (HSK level 5 ≥200 scores or HSK level 6 ≥180 scores); (b) Other equivalent Chinese proficiency certificates (subject to review and approval by SJTU); (c) SJTU Application Form for Chinese language courses (only for conditional admission).
6.2 English language proficiency certificate. Provide at least one of the following materials: (a) TOEFL; (b) IELTS; (c) Other equivalent English language proficiency certificates.
7. Applicants should provide the following materials if one or both parents of the applicant are Chinese citizens:
7.1 Certificate of the applicant obtained foreign nationality at birth or afterward.
7.2 The nationality or household registration certificate of both the applicant's parents (passport or ID card).
7.3 For applicants who obtained foreign nationality at birth, if one or both of the parents are Chinese citizens and have the permanent residence abroad, a certificate of the corresponding permanent residence needs to be provided; if one or both of the parents are Chinese citizens but have not obtained the permanent residence abroad, certificate of the withdrawal from Chinese nationality of the applicant needs to be provided.
7.4 For applicants who were originally Chinese citizens and obtained foreign nationalities afterward, a certificate for the cancellation of their original registered residence in China and the renunciation of the Chinese nationality should be provided.
7.5 The entry and exit seal page of visiting China on the applicant's passport from April 30, 2017, to the time of application.
7.6 The applicant's certificate for studying outside China from April 30, 2017 to the time of application.
8. Applicants under 18 years old (until April 30, 2021) should provide a letter of guarantee for their guardian in China (notarization required).
9. Financial guarantee proven deposit of not less than CNY 100,000 (or equivalent in foreign currency).
10. Award certificates (if any);
11. Applicants applying for designing will need to submit portfolios.
12. Other supportive materials required by SJTU.
（1）The scores or certificates listed in 5.2, 6.1, and 6.2 must be obtained within the past two years.
（2） If any of the above application materials are not in Chinese or English, notarized copies in Chinese or English must be provided.
（3）There is no need to mail hard copies of supporting materials during application.
Applicants who pass the preview shall take the “SJTU International Undergraduate Entrance Test”.
1. Test Method: online
2. Test Date: 15:00-16:30 March 27, 2021 (Beijing Time, GMT+8)
3. Test Subjects: Chinese, math, English.
（1）All tests are closed-book.
（2）The math test will have two categories, Math of Science and Math of Liberal Arts. The test category refers to the “List of 2021 SJTU Undergraduate Program in Chinese for International Students”, and the test language is Chinese&English.
（3）For students applying for a Major in Chinese language, math scores will not be included in the total score, but will be reckoned in the scholarship evaluation.
（4）Students who apply for the Chinese language courses will not take the Chinese test.
（5） Please pay attention to the follow-up email notification for "Test Instructions".
Applicants who have passed the “SJTU International Undergraduate Entrance Test” can attend the interview. Details about the interview will be informed at university office website Study@SJTU (http://isc.sjtu.edu.cn) or sent by email.
1. Application Fee: RMB 800 (non-refundable).
- Chinese-taught Program: RMB 24.800 / year
- English-taught Program: RMB 80.000 / year
3. Insurance Fee: RMB 800 / year (The relevant regulations by the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China and the Management Regulations for International Student of SJTU require all international students with study duration over 6 months to purchase the Group Comprehensive Insurance in Mainland China.)