Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Ocean & Civil Engineering - Civil EngineeringBachelor
Students will initially be placed into a general-studies category as their major. After enrollment, they will be assigned at the direction of their school to a specific major.
The Department of Civil Engineering provides undergraduate, Master, and Doctoral courses. In 2012, the Department was listed in the Education system for Outstanding Engineers Program by Ministry of Education, China. The field of Civil and Structural Engineering is selected in the National Double First-Class Discipline Initiatives in 2017 and ranked at 32nd in the 2017 QS World University Rankings. By the end of 2017, there are 65 faculty and staff members, including 25 full professors, 29 associate professors, 2 CAE Academicians. Significance research advancements have been achieved in the area of Structural safety, Geotechnical Engineering, and Disaster prevention.
1. High school diploma and above.
2. Non-Chinese citizens who hold a foreign passport and comply with the relevant regulations set by the “Document No. 12 (2020) of Ministry of Education of the PRC ".
3. Physically and mentally healthy.
1. Senior high school diploma or equivalent (2021 graduating students should provide an official statement from your high school as proof of graduation);
2. Passport information page (valid for more than 6 months).
3. Personal statement (with signature);
4. Two recommendation letters, at least one of which has to be provided by one of the teachers in the high school (with signature);
5. Academic certificate (including but not limited to):
5.1 High school transcripts (including all courses taken).
5.2 Test scores of the national high school graduation exam or college entrance exam in the country or region, such as SAT/ACT/IB/A-level/UEC, etc. If the above test results cannot be obtained at the time of application, an explanation must be provided.
6. Language proficiency certificate
6.1 Chinese language proficiency certificate. Provide at least one of the following materials: (a) HSK certificate (HSK level 5 ≥200 scores or HSK level 6 ≥180 scores); (b) Other equivalent Chinese proficiency certificates (subject to review and approval by SJTU); (c) SJTU Application Form for Chinese language courses (only for conditional admission).
6.2 English language proficiency certificate. Provide at least one of the following materials: (a) TOEFL; (b) IELTS; (c) Other equivalent English language proficiency certificates.
7. Applicants should provide the following materials if one or both parents of the applicant are Chinese citizens:
7.1 Certificate of the applicant obtained foreign nationality at birth or afterward.
7.2 The nationality or household registration certificate of both the applicant's parents (passport or ID card).
7.3 For applicants who obtained foreign nationality at birth, if one or both of the parents are Chinese citizens and have the permanent residence abroad, a certificate of the corresponding permanent residence needs to be provided; if one or both of the parents are Chinese citizens but have not obtained the permanent residence abroad, certificate of the withdrawal from Chinese nationality of the applicant needs to be provided.
7.4 For applicants who were originally Chinese citizens and obtained foreign nationalities afterward, a certificate for the cancellation of their original registered residence in China and the renunciation of the Chinese nationality should be provided.
7.5 The entry and exit seal page of visiting China on the applicant's passport from April 30, 2017, to the time of application.
7.6 The applicant's certificate for studying outside China from April 30, 2017 to the time of application.
8. Applicants under 18 years old (until April 30, 2021) should provide a letter of guarantee for their guardian in China (notarization required).
9. Financial guarantee proven deposit of not less than CNY 100,000 (or equivalent in foreign currency).
10. Award certificates (if any);
11. Applicants applying for designing will need to submit portfolios.
12. Other supportive materials required by SJTU.
（1）The scores or certificates listed in 5.2, 6.1, and 6.2 must be obtained within the past two years.
（2） If any of the above application materials are not in Chinese or English, notarized copies in Chinese or English must be provided.
（3）There is no need to mail hard copies of supporting materials during application.
Applicants who pass the preview shall take the “SJTU International Undergraduate Entrance Test”.
1. Test Method: online
2. Test Date: 15:00-16:30 March 27, 2021 (Beijing Time, GMT+8)
3. Test Subjects: Chinese, math, English.
（1）All tests are closed-book.
（2）The math test will have two categories, Math of Science and Math of Liberal Arts. The test category refers to the “List of 2021 SJTU Undergraduate Program in Chinese for International Students”, and the test language is Chinese&English.
（3）For students applying for a Major in Chinese language, math scores will not be included in the total score, but will be reckoned in the scholarship evaluation.
（4）Students who apply for the Chinese language courses will not take the Chinese test.
（5） Please pay attention to the follow-up email notification for "Test Instructions".
Applicants who have passed the “SJTU International Undergraduate Entrance Test” can attend the interview. Details about the interview will be informed at university office website Study@SJTU (http://isc.sjtu.edu.cn) or sent by email.
1. Application Fee: RMB 800 (non-refundable).
- Chinese-taught Program: RMB 24.800 / year
- English-taught Program: RMB 80.000 / year
3. Insurance Fee: RMB 800 / year (The relevant regulations by the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China and the Management Regulations for International Student of SJTU require all international students with study duration over 6 months to purchase the Group Comprehensive Insurance in Mainland China.)