The Chinese University of HongKong, Shenzhen
Bioinformatics (MED | LHS)Bachelor
The mission of the Programme is to equip students with knowledge and technique in computational biology, to allow development of research skills in the study of the genomic sequences and biomolecular structures, and their functions and dynamics in the biological systems; and to accelerate the translation of research discoveries to improve healthcare.
The advances in bioinformatics and computational biology are redefining our understanding of biology in the molecular level. With the completion of the Human Genome Project and driven by low cost genomic assays, traditional clinical research has expanded into the realm of big data crunching and mining; The advances in structural biology have made computer-aided drug design an indispensable tool in pharmaceutical industries. Bioinformatics is an interdisciplinary programme, including diverse fields like molecular biology, computer science, physics, chemistry, statistics and data science. In modern biology, it serves as a foundation to understand life processes in biological systems through computational methods, and to discover novel biological phenomena in the increasingly data-centric biological and biomedical sciences.
Instead of offering a generic bioinformatics programme, this Programme at CUHK(SZ) offers focused training and prepares students in response to the demands from academic, government and industrial sectors. The emphasis will be on systems biology, algorithm and biomedical database development. Practical research mandates through internship at research or industrial organizations will be offered.
Upon completion of the Programme, students will have acquired the ability to:
1) demonstrate deep knowledge of the principles and the methods of computational techniques in computer science, physical science and data science;
2) demonstrate understanding in general biology, including molecular biology, evolution, structural biology, etc.;
3) master genomic sequences analysis, biomolecular structure modeling, and bio-data management;
4) design and propose analytical tools for biological processes in the biological systems; and
5) display a critical and creative attitude in their professional life.
1. High school graduate and above.
2. Non-Chinese citizens who hold a foreign passport and comply with the relevant regulations set by the “Document No. 12 (2020) of Ministry of Education of the PRC.".
3. Physically and mentally healthy.
4. Applicants under 18 years old (Per September 1st) should provide a letter of guarantee for their guardian in China (notarization required).
1. Passport: Please scan your passport ID page. If there is any additional or change of the name, please also provide the endorsement page.(bit.ly/ContohPassport) (bit.ly/ContohEndorsement)
2. Recent photo, with the following format: Recent full-faced photo (the head occupies 70% of the size of the photo); the aspect ratio is 4:3; white background without borders; the size must be between 100-500KB (*.jpg,*.jpeg). (bit.ly/Contoh_Photo)
3. Language Certificates
- For English-Taught program: IELTS with an overall score of 5.5/6.0 or TOEFL IBT 85 (subject to each university)
- For Chinese-Taught program: HSK 4-6 (level and minimum score are subject to each major and university)
4. High school diploma (for bachelor degree applicants) and Bachelor or Master diploma (for master and doctoral degree applicants), students who hasn’t graduated should provide an official statement from high school or university as a guarantee of the graduation date (Pre-Graduation Statement). (bit.ly/PreGraduationLetter) (bit.ly/PreGraduationLetter2)
5. High school transcripts (for bachelor degree applicants) and university transcripts (for master and doctoral degree applicants), page sorted from first semester to last or latest semester in one PDF file. Please contact your school to get ‘1 sheet’ kinds of transcripts. (bit.ly/ContohOnePageTranscript)
6. 2 (two) recommendation letters from your teachers in high school (for bachelor degree applicants) and two university professors (for master and doctoral degree applicants) along with letterhead, stamp from the school, and sign. Please also include the email and phone number of the recommenders.
7. Study Plan / Personal Statement, approximately 800 words (English/Mandarin) and must be signed with a clear name. You could check general personal statement points grid here (bit.ly/PoinPersonalStatement)
8. Additional requirements that apply vary from university to university, for example:
- Entrance Examination / Interview.
- Financial Statement (from Bank). (bit.ly/ContohFinancialCertificateProof)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV), you can check the sample or simply look up on google (bit.ly/Contoh_CurriculumVitae_CV)
- Certificate of Non-Criminal Record Report(SKCK) from the Local Indonesian Police. (bit.ly/ContohSKCK)
- Foreigner Physical Examination Form (Medical Check-up Report). (bit.ly/SayaratPengisianForm) (bit.ly/PhysicalExaminationForm)
- Documents number 4-6 above, MUST be translated into English / Mandarin by the school or a sworn translator, and need to be legalized.
- Please neatly SCAN each file in pdf format, the size must not be more than 1 MB (except the recent photo must comply with the requirements above), then upload everything into the system (www.greatwall.co.id).
1. Tuition Fee: RMB 115,000 (approximately USD $18,014).
2. Accommodation Fee: Annual accommodation fees RMB 1,200 (est USD $200). However most international students will receive a scholarship which includes accommodation.
3. Miscellaneous Study Fee: RMB 500 (est USD $80) per academic year.
4. Medical Insurance: RMB 320 (est USD $50) per academic year.
5. Textbooks: dependent on courses in addition to your study preferences, approximately RMB 1,200 (est USD $190).
6. Monthly expenses: dependent on lifestyle and preferences, approximately RMB 2,000 (est USD $315) should cover meals, power, water and entertainment.