The Chinese University of HongKong, Shenzhen
New Energy Science and Engineering (SSE)Bachelor
With the progress of science and technology in the energy area, promoting clean and efficient usage of energy, as well as accelerating the industry upgrading of the energy market, have become the new concerns of the energy field. Thanks to the rapid development of the internet, interdisciplinary technologies are now changing the operation mode of our society. Therefore, academia has proposed to “build a smarter planet” and a cutting-edge notion of “smart energy” in the energy area, by merging the internet with energy production, transmission, storage, consumption as well as energy market. At the same time, President Xi Jinping proposed in 2020 that our country would strive to reach the "carbon peak" by 2030 and realize the "carbon neutrality" by 2060, and undertake the global responsibility and historical mission of carbon reduction. Since 80% of the total carbon emissions are from energy consumption sources, the development of new energy technologies will play a key role in achieving the strategic goals of carbon peak and neutrality in our country.
The School of Science and Engineering is now actively cooperating with well-known domestic and overseas universities for the “3+1+1” Joint Program of New Energy Science and Engineering (NSE). The NSE Program is also offering a “Final Year Project” to train students’ independent practical and researching abilities, which can greatly benefit them for their further study or career. NSE graduates will be able to work in emerging fields of new energy, including renewable energy, smart grid, new energy vehicles, etc. as well as new energy-related research in universities and institutes.
The NSE Program is highly interdisciplinary. Students can choose to pursue further studies in the direction of new energy science or new energy engineering according to their interests.
A. New Energy Science
Based on the classic courses of mathematics, physics, chemistry, and materials science, the stream of new energy science will introduce the latest progress in frontier research areas, such as optoelectronics, catalytic chemistry, energy storage, and energy conversion, with a focus on the development and utilization of new energy, especially renewable energy. Through the combination of lectures and experiments, students in the new energy science stream will receive solid training in natural sciences and equip with international vision, innovative spirit, and comprehensive abilities. Graduates in the new energy science stream will be ready to contribute to the strategic goals of carbon peak and neutrality, and fulfill their talents in job markets of photovoltaics, energy storage, electric vehicles, display technology, etc.
B. New Energy Engineering
The stream of new energy engineering aims to explore the “smart energy system”, which is the new form of energy development. In addition to the electric power system, electrical machinery, power electronics, new energy materials, students will also study courses including integrated circuits, signal systems, advanced statistics, artificial intelligence, etc. The combination of new energy knowledge and data computing technology guarantees a balance training of energy and information technology, which are both needed for the smart energy system and can meet the demand in the energy-related industries. With the interdisciplinary skills of new energy engineering and information science, graduates in the new energy engineering stream will become competitive candidates in the job market of photovoltaics, smart grids, electric vehicles, energy storage, industrial internet, and other fields.
1. High school graduate and above.
2. Non-Chinese citizens who hold a foreign passport and comply with the relevant regulations set by the “Document No. 12 (2020) of Ministry of Education of the PRC.".
3. Physically and mentally healthy.
4. Applicants under 18 years old (Per September 1st) should provide a letter of guarantee for their guardian in China (notarization required).
1. Passport: Please scan your passport ID page. If there is any additional or change of the name, please also provide the endorsement page.(bit.ly/ContohPassport) (bit.ly/ContohEndorsement)
2. Recent photo, with the following format: Recent full-faced photo (the head occupies 70% of the size of the photo); the aspect ratio is 4:3; white background without borders; the size must be between 100-500KB (*.jpg,*.jpeg). (bit.ly/Contoh_Photo)
3. Language Certificates
- For English-Taught program: IELTS with an overall score of 5.5/6.0 or TOEFL IBT 85 (subject to each university)
- For Chinese-Taught program: HSK 4-6 (level and minimum score are subject to each major and university)
4. High school diploma (for bachelor degree applicants) and Bachelor or Master diploma (for master and doctoral degree applicants), students who hasn’t graduated should provide an official statement from high school or university as a guarantee of the graduation date (Pre-Graduation Statement). (bit.ly/PreGraduationLetter) (bit.ly/PreGraduationLetter2)
5. High school transcripts (for bachelor degree applicants) and university transcripts (for master and doctoral degree applicants), page sorted from first semester to last or latest semester in one PDF file. Please contact your school to get ‘1 sheet’ kinds of transcripts. (bit.ly/ContohOnePageTranscript)
6. 2 (two) recommendation letters from your teachers in high school (for bachelor degree applicants) and two university professors (for master and doctoral degree applicants) along with letterhead, stamp from the school, and sign. Please also include the email and phone number of the recommenders.
7. Study Plan / Personal Statement, approximately 800 words (English/Mandarin) and must be signed with a clear name. You could check general personal statement points grid here (bit.ly/PoinPersonalStatement)
8. Additional requirements that apply vary from university to university, for example:
- Entrance Examination / Interview.
- Financial Statement (from Bank). (bit.ly/ContohFinancialCertificateProof)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV), you can check the sample or simply look up on google (bit.ly/Contoh_CurriculumVitae_CV)
- Certificate of Non-Criminal Record Report(SKCK) from the Local Indonesian Police. (bit.ly/ContohSKCK)
- Foreigner Physical Examination Form (Medical Check-up Report). (bit.ly/SayaratPengisianForm) (bit.ly/PhysicalExaminationForm)
- Documents number 4-6 above, MUST be translated into English / Mandarin by the school or a sworn translator, and need to be legalized.
- Please neatly SCAN each file in pdf format, the size must not be more than 1 MB (except the recent photo must comply with the requirements above), then upload everything into the system (www.greatwall.co.id).
1. Tuition Fee: RMB 115,000 (approximately USD $18,014).
2. Accommodation Fee: Annual accommodation fees RMB 1,200 (est USD $200). However most international students will receive a scholarship which includes accommodation.
3. Miscellaneous Study Fee: RMB 500 (est USD $80) per academic year.
4. Medical Insurance: RMB 320 (est USD $50) per academic year.
5. Textbooks: dependent on courses in addition to your study preferences, approximately RMB 1,200 (est USD $190).
6. Monthly expenses: dependent on lifestyle and preferences, approximately RMB 2,000 (est USD $315) should cover meals, power, water and entertainment.