University of Nottingham Ningbo China
MA, Interpreting and Translation, Mandarin and EnglishMaster
The MA is designed for native speakers of Chinese who have a high level of competence in English and wish to develop this further. It is also open to speakers of other languages than English and Chinese who have a high level of competence in both English and Chinese. The MA combines the theoretical, technological and practical training necessary for effective translation between English and Chinese. It also offers training and practice in bi-lateral interpreting between the two languages. The programme is structured around a range of compulsory and elective modules. The compulsory modules provide the core skills and knowledge needed for translation and interpreting across a wide range of subjects, including the basic concepts of translation and interpreting theory.
The degree aims to train students who already possess high-level English and Mandarin language skills to professional levels of competence in interpreting and translation. Graduates from the course will be capable of interpreting across a wide range of subjects involving dialogues at specialist consultations and presentations by consecutive mode. Subject to performance in Semester 1, students will have the practice in simultaneous interpreting. Graduates will be capable of translating across a wide range of subjects and have a sound conceptual understanding of the material being translated.
The course will raise students' language skills to a higher level, introduce students to interpreting and translation theory, new technologies for translating and interpreting, key concepts of economics and business, technology, the media and culture. Students will also have the opportunity to continue a second foreign language from intermediate level. Teaching will be enhanced with input from professional and experienced interpreters and translators.
The programme is made up of core modules in the theory and practice of translation and interpreting. In addition, students may take optional modules in translation and interpreting in different subject areas.
Students must take all modules in this group
ENGL4288 Professional Translation
ENGL4285 Translation Studies: Theories and Methodologies
ENGL4289 Professional Interpreting
INCM4017 Translation and Interpreting Dissertation / Project
Optional (Group 1)
Students must take 40 credits from this group
ENGL4284 Community and Public Service Interpreting
ENGL4286 Specialised Translation
INCM4035 Advanced Chinese Discourse Skills (for non-Chinese speakers only)
INCM4037 Advanced English Discourse Skills (for non-English speakers only)
ENGL4190 Discourse Analysis
ENGL4197 Intercultural Communication
Optional (Group 2)
Students must take 20 credits from this group
INCM4019 Advanced Interpreting
INCM4018 Advanced Translation
Detailed module information can be found through the online module catalogue. Please enter the module title or code when searching.
Please note: This degree structure and modules may be subject to change.
Careers and further study
Our Careers Development Service will work with you to explore your options. They will invite you to attend recruitment events featuring potential employers, and will suggest further opportunities, such as relevant work experience placements and skills workshops.
1. High school diploma and above.
2. Non-Chinese citizens who hold a foreign passport and comply with the relevant regulations set by the “Document No. 12 (2020) of Ministry of Education of the PRC ".
3. Physically and mentally healthy.
4. Applicants under 18 years old (Per September) should provide a letter of guarantee for their guardian in China (notarization required).
1. Scan passport: Front page and Endorsement page (page 3/4, if there is an addition or change of name). (bit.ly/ContohPassport) (bit.ly/ContohEndorsement)
2. Recent passport size photo, with the following format: Recent full-faced passport size photo (the head occupies 70% of the size of the photo); the aspect ratio is 4:3; white background without borders; the size is 100-500KB (*.jpg,*.jpeg). (bit.ly/ContohPhoto)
3. Language Certificates
- English Taught: IELTS with an overall score of 5.5/6.0 or TOEFL IBT 85 (different for each university)
- Chinese Taught: HSK 4-6 (levels and minimum scores are different for each major and university)
4. High school diploma (for bachelor degree) and Bachelor or Master diploma (for master and doctoral degree), hasn’t graduated students should provide an official statement from your high school or university as proof of graduation (Pre-Graduation Statement). (bit.ly/PreGraduationLetter) (bit.ly/PreGraduationLetter2)
5. High school transcripts (for bachelor degree) and university transcripts (for master and doctoral degree), page sorted in 1 file. Please contact your school to get ‘1 sheet’ kinds of transcripts. (bit.ly/ContohOnePageTranscript)
6. 2 (two) recommendation letters from your teachers in high school (for bachelor degree) and two university professors (for master and doctoral degrees) along with letterhead and stamp from the school. Please also include the email and phone number of recommenders. (bit.ly/Contoh_Recommendation_Letter)
7. Study Plan / Personal Statement, approximately 800 words (English/Mandarin) and must be signed with a clear name. You could check general personal statement points grid here (bit.ly/PoinPersonalStatement)
8. Additional requirements that apply vary from university to university, for example:
- Entrance Examination / Interview.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV). (bit.ly/Contoh_CurriculumVitae_CV)
- Financial Statement (from Bank). (bit.ly/ContohFinancialCertificateProof)
- Certificate of No Criminal Record (SKCK) from the Local Indonesian Police. (bit.ly/ContohSKCK)
- Medical Check Up Report. (bit.ly/SyaratPengisianForm) (bit.ly/PhysicalExaminationForm)
- Documents number 4-6 above, MUST be translated into English / Mandarin, and legalized by the school or you could use the services of a sworn translator.
- Documents needed for Additional Requirements do not need to be prepared in advance, our team will follow up with you later.
- Please neatly SCAN each file in pdf format, the size must not be more than 1 MB (except the passport photo must comply with the requirements above), then upload everything to the system at www.greatwall.co.id.
1. Tuition: RMB 110,000 Per Year
2. Accommodation costs: approximately 5,000 – 16,000 RMB per year for oversea students, depending on the type of accommodation.
3. Living costs: 16,200 RMB-31,500 RMB per year for living expenses.
4. Compulsory insurance: RMB 1,000 for postgraduates.
5. Campus card fees: RMB 200 for the first year if you choose to live on the campus. And the money will be used to precharge utilities.