International Master of Engineering Management (IMEM) ProgramMaster
1. Preparing future leaders of global engineering project management.
The world is driven by information and technology in a complex and competitive manner. Organizations around the world are seeking talents who not only have advanced knowledge in design, finance, engineering, and the manufacturing process, but also the ability to manage and motivate individuals and teams from different culture backgrounds, in order to maximize teamwork, foster creativity and boost productivity. The International Master of Engineering Management (IMEM) program of Tsinghua University is designed to prepare engineers and technical specialists for technology leadership and industry management in global engineering projects. Through multidisciplinary, comprehensive, and practical education, IMEM students will:
▶ Learn state-of-the-art knowledge in engineering management systematically.
▶ Gain in-depth insights into Chinese engineering practices.
▶ Be extensively involved in cross cultural team work.
▶ Enhance their abilities in the context of Chinese culture and engineering.
2. Developing students’ management and leadership skills.
IMEM is a 2-year professional Master degree program. It offers students the flexibility and diversity to suit their interests. All students complete 38 credits courses, including Chinese language, Chinese culture and society, engineering management courses, engineering technology courses. IMEM students can also customize their coursework by choosing courses offered by other schools and departments at Tsinghua University, such us the Department of Construction Management, Department of Automotive Engineering, School of Software, etc. IMEM immersion class and internship will ensure students in gaining valuable experience in Chinese industries. Lectures and seminars will introduce students to academia, industry, and business leaders, to discuss the complex challenges currently facing the world.
To receive a Master degree in Engineering Management, students are required to complete:
▶ 5-credit public compulsory courses: Chinese, Chinese Culture and Society.
▶ 16-credit in engineering management courses.
▶ 11-credit in engineering technology courses.
▶ 2-credit in academic and professional literacy courses.
▶ 4-credit in literature review and thesis proposal, professional practice and academic activities. Master thesis research, which is encouraged to be based on students’ own job assignment or internship in industry.
IMEM students are expected to advance their engineering expertise, managerial skills, and global awareness, while obtaining a good understanding of the Chinese perspective. Students will also learn how to organize and supervise individuals and teams from different cultures and backgrounds, in order to maximize teamwork abilities, creativity and productivity.
For more information about the curriculum please click here
3. Features of Tsinghua IMEM
In 2010, the Ministry of Education of China initiated the professional Master degree program of engineering management, to meet the great and urgent demands for talents, in order to serve the rapid developments of modern engineering. In 2018, 235 students were admitted to the Master of Engineering Management (MEM) program of Tsinghua University. The number of enrollments is expected to grow steadfastly in the following years. Based on many years of success of the domestic MEM program, the IMEM program is designed to meet the demands of global engineering projects in the globalization context. The program is the first of its kind in China. It is unique among graduate programs in terms of its flexibility, multidisciplinary curriculum and opportunities of cross-cultural communication and collaboration.
(1) Multidisciplinary curriculum: combining state-of-the-art engineering advancements, industry leading knowledge in management, and training in business, finance, information technology, culture, and related areas.
(2) Chinese perspective: well-designed immersion class and internship provide students with visits and hands-on practices in a cross-cultural context, to improve teamwork, leadership, and communication skills.
(3) Sino-Foreign Cooperative Graduate Education: professors from prestigious universities internationally will jointly cultivate IMEM students.
(4) Flexible study options: MOOC courses are available for certain core courses, offering greater schedule flexibility for students.
(5) MEM Assistantship: IMEM students are eligible for MEM Assistantship, which will promote their interaction with the MEM program students, improve their Chinese and cross-cultural communication skills.
1. High school diploma and above.
2. Non-Chinese citizens who hold a foreign passport and comply with the relevant regulations set by the “Document No. 12 (2020) of Ministry of Education of the PRC ".
3. Physically and mentally healthy.
4. Applicants under 18 years old (Per September) should provide a letter of guarantee for their guardian in China (notarization required).
2. Recent passport size photo, with the following format: Recent full-faced passport size photo (the head occupies 70% of the size of the photo); the aspect ratio is 4:3; white background without borders; the size is 100-500KB (*.jpg,*.jpeg). (bit.ly/ContohPhoto)
3. Language Certificates
- English Taught: IELTS with an overall score of 5.5/6.0 or TOEFL IBT 85 (different for each university)
- Chinese Taught: HSK 4-6 (levels and minimum scores are different for each major and university)
4. High school diploma (for bachelor degree) and Bachelor or Master diploma (for master and doctoral degree), hasn’t graduated students should provide an official statement from your high school or university as proof of graduation (Pre-Graduation Statement). (bit.ly/PreGraduationLetter)
5. High school transcripts (for bachelor degree) and university transcripts (for master and doctoral degree), page sorted in 1 file. Please contact the school to get ‘1 sheet’ kinds of transcripts. (bit.ly/ContohOnePageTranscript)
6. 2 (two) recommendation letters from your teachers in high school (for bachelor degree) and two university professors (for master and doctoral degrees) along with letterhead and stamp from the school. Please also include the email and phone number of recommenders.
7. Study Plan / Personal Statement, approximately 800 words (English/Mandarin) and must be signed with a clear name. You could check general personal statement points grid here (bit.ly/PoinPersonalStatement)
8. Additional requirements that apply vary from university to university, for example:
- Entrance Examination / Interview.
- Financial Statement (from Bank).
- Certificate of No Criminal Record (SKCK) from the Local Indonesian Police. (bit.ly/ContohSKCK)
- Documents number 4-6 above, MUST be translated into English / Mandarin, and legalized by the school or you could use the services of a sworn translator.
- Please neatly SCAN each file in pdf format, the size must not be more than 1 MB (except the passport photo must comply with the requirements above), then upload everything to the system at www.greatwall.co.id.
1. Application Fee: RMB 800
2. Tuition Fees: RMB 39.000/year
3. Accidental Injury and Hospitalization Insurance: RMB 800/year
4. Accommodation in students dormitories on Tsinghua campus, Beijing: RMB 80/day per person for single rooms and AB rooms, RMB 40/day per person for double rooms.