South China University of Technology
Currently, there are 11 supervisors in Optics Division for Master degree, including 6 professors and 5 associate professors. There are 9 professional research laboratories whose researches were financially supported by 973 projects, National Natural Science Foundation of China, Natural Science Foundation of Guangdong Province, Scientific and Technological Projects of Guangdong Province, Guangzhou city and local companies. In recent years, the research funding, the numbers and qualities of the research publications on international and domestic journals keep increasing year by year.
There are several research fields in Optics Division:
(1) Optoelectronics and Optoelectronic Technology. To study the photoelectric detection, LED lighting, spectroscopy and integration of optical, mechanical and electrical technologies.
(2) Transmission Technology in Optical Communications. To study the transmission technology in optical communication, such as fiber laser, wavelength-division multiplexing technology, fiber amplifier, passive optical devices (new-type fibers, optical switch, waveguide, optical attenuator etc.) and communication codes.
(3) Quantum optics & nonlinear optics and their applications. To study the interaction of light with matter, quantum manipulation of light field, formation and transformation of the optical images, and the frontiers of the quantum information.
(4) Machine vision and man-machine engineering. To study the information collection with photoelectric equipment and data analysis with the computer system, letting the equipment recognize the outside world. Adding knowledge formation and learning to the machine system to realize better understanding between human-being and intelligent equipment. This technology is widely applied in fields of industrial detection, robot walking, man-less drive, virtual reality and reverse engineering.
(5) Optical communication networks. To study the principles and technologies in optical communication networks, and how to solve the problems in practical application.
(6) Optical Engineering. To study the engineering problems in optical fiber communication, display and processing of images and design of optical instruments.
(7) Micro-nano photonics. Theoretical and experimental studies on photonic crystals, nano-photonics, optical metamaterials, surface plasmon, optical tweezers, nonlinear optics and quantum optics and their applications. Development of the relative new concepts, new methods and new techniques and their applications. Studies on the interdisciplinary fields between micro-nano photonics and condensed matter physics, acoustics, materials science, chemistry and medical sciences.
(8) Optical sensing, detection and imaging. To enhance the interaction strength between light and matter with micro-nano devices, to improve the efficiency of physical process, such as fluorescence, Raman, nonlinear optics, photovoltaic and photothermal conversions, to develop their applications in photoelectric detection, optical sensing, super-resolution optical imaging etc.
(9) Optical tweezers. To capture, manipulate and arrange micro-nano particles with different focused laser beams and study their dynamic behaviors. With optical tweezers technology as a medium. To study the micro mechanical properties and physiological functions of the proteins, DNA, cells and tissues.
Our aims are to cultivate technical talents with good moral, intellectual and physical educations in science and engineering. The students should have a solid base on theory of optics and information science and well knowledge of photoelectric signal detection, information processing, laser, new type light sources, optical fiber, micro-nano photonics, optical sensing, detection and imaging and image processing. After graduation, the students should have the abilities of management, teaching, research, design and development of high-tech products in the relative fields, such as optical engineering, optoelectronics and optical communications, electronics, information, and computer engineering.
After graduation, some students will join Ph. D program for further study. Most of the students will join companies in the field of optics, electronics and computer sciences. The students are well satisfied with their employments.
(1) Bachelor’s degree diploma and transcripts with good record. Those who have not graduated from undergraduate program, submit a Pre-graduation Certificate, or a testimonial which shows your expected graduation time and present your original certification, transcripts, and translations when you register;
(2)Language requirements for Chinese-Medium Programs (language certificate must be valid for the latest 2 years):
-HSK Band 4 with 180 scores or above for Science or Engineering studies;
-HSK Band 5 with 180 scores or above for Liberal Arts, Economics, Art and Design or Management Studies;
-New HSK Band 5 with 210 scores above for Journalism and Communication (Chinese Teaching and Communication Included).
(3)Language requirements for English-Medium Programs (only for non-English speaking countries) (language certificate must be valid for the latest 2 years):
-TOEFL IBT 80 or above;
-IELTS 6.0 or above;
(4) Those students who are exempt from submitting English Language Certificate must meet the following conditions:
-A citizen of English speaking countries
-Obtained the highest-level degree of education from an institution operating in English and submitting a proof of English instruction.
(5) Those who do not have a HSK certificate can study one year Chinese Language program at SCUT prior to their degree programs until the required certificate has been completed.
(6) To apply for music related programs, please submit a DVD or CD of your live performance. To apply for architecture related programs, please submit at least two sketches and two color painting.
(7) Two recommendation letters.
(8) A study of research written in Chinese/English (500 words minimum)
(9) Original copy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (must be filled out in Chinese or English)
(10) For MBA applicants, students are required to have been awarded Bachelor Degree for at least two years and pass the interview held by MBA center.
- By the end of September, obtained at least 3 years of work experiences after the undergraduate degree
- By the end of September, obtained at least 2 years of work experiences after the postgraduate degree
(11) For those who missed the HSK, IELTS or TOEFL in the application year can apply to attend the Language Proficiency Test held by the School of International Education, SCUT. Students’ test scores will also be considered in the admission procedure.
(12)Two weeks after the semester starts, the application for changing the major will not be accepted.
(1) Please upload the Required Documents in order to fulfill your application procedure. Each document has to be smaller than 1M.
(2) Certificates, diplomas and transcripts must be notarized copies. All of the documents should be translated into Chinese or English.
(3) Two weeks after the semester starts, the application for changing majors will not be accepted.
(4) If you have previously studied at any Chinese university, please upload the Visa page of your passport, prepare a transfer letter which includes your attendance record (should be above 80 %) and transcripts.
(5) Students from some countries need to submit the "Non-criminal Check" notarized by Chinese embassy and personal resume, and the specific requirements will be notified by mail
(6) For applicants under the age of 18, guardians of Chinese nationality are required when applying for academic degree programs or long-term education programs. The Guardian Letter must be notarized and the specific requirements will be notified by mail.
(7) Students from some countries are required to submit financial certificates, and the specific requirements will be notified by mail.
1.Application Fee: RMB 450 (non-refundable).
(1)The rule of accommodation reservation service is: First Come, First Served;
(2)Students may choose to live off campus. Note that international students have to register at the local police station within 24 hours of moving into off-campus housing;
(3)Students should pay the fees on time and in full in the registration time. It is suggested that students apply for one credit card in China's banks first and then pay by card. Usually, deferral application is unacceptable;
(4)The Admission Letter will become invalid if the applicant is holding the expired visa in China;
(5)SCUT can only provide the first two years accommodation for self-support international students;
(6)The tuition and accommodation fees are nonrefundable if a student withdraws from the program.
4. Insurance: RMB 800/ year
5. Foreigner physical examination: RMB 482 (The fee of health examination is free if you are degree student)
6. Application for resident permit:
- RMB 800 (12 months above)
- RMB 400 (less than 12 months)
7. Campus Card: RMB 30 (free for degree student)
8. Living expenses: We estimate that a single student living in Guangzhou will need RMB 15.000-20.000 or living expenses annually in addition to the tuition and accommodation fees. This amount includes food, clothes, books, and travels.