The Chinese University of HongKong, Shenzhen
Financial Engineering (Offered Jointly with SME, SSE and SDS)Bachelor
If you wish to study Financial Engineering, please read the following carefully:
Financial Engineering is an extremely challenging major. Direct admission is not offered to international applicants. To study Financial Engineering at CUHK-Shenzhen, you must initially select a major from either SME, SSE or SDS and then you may select this major. When you commence your studies, you will need to complete specific high-level courses in first year. At the end of first year you can apply to transfer to Financial Engineering. Admission will be determined based on GPA.
Financial Engineering is offered by SME jointly with SSE and SDS, CUHK-Shenzhen with two streams: Quantitative Finance, and FinTech. Both streams require solid knowledge in mathematical statistics and basic programming skills. Quantitative Finance focuses on financial theories, derivatives and pricing, while FinTech values the applications of new data science analysis methods in the FinTech industry. Graduates from Quantitative Finance mostly work in financial institutions such as banks, securities, asset management and hedge funds; and those graduating from FinTech are employed by the financial companies in transformation and upgrading underpinned by technology, or the financial sector of tech companies.
The major gathers competent faculty from SME, SSE and SDS with educational and teaching experience in famous foreign universities. The textbooks and curriculum are in sync with international standards and based on extensive cooperation with the industry. Graduates will command solid knowledge in financial theories and strong measurement and analysis capabilities with the potential to become future leaders of the financial industry and meet its demands for talents.
1. High school graduate and above.
2. Non-Chinese citizens who hold a foreign passport and comply with the relevant regulations set by the “Document No. 12 (2020) of Ministry of Education of the PRC.".
3. Physically and mentally healthy.
4. Applicants under 18 years old (Per September 1st) should provide a letter of guarantee for their guardian in China (notarization required).
1. Passport: Please scan your passport ID page. If there is any additional or change of the name, please also provide the endorsement page.(bit.ly/ContohPassport) (bit.ly/ContohEndorsement)
2. Recent photo, with the following format: Recent full-faced photo (the head occupies 70% of the size of the photo); the aspect ratio is 4:3; white background without borders; the size must be between 100-500KB (*.jpg,*.jpeg). (bit.ly/Contoh_Photo)
3. Language Certificates
- For English-Taught program: IELTS with an overall score of 5.5/6.0 or TOEFL IBT 85 (subject to each university)
- For Chinese-Taught program: HSK 4-6 (level and minimum score are subject to each major and university)
4. High school diploma (for bachelor degree applicants) and Bachelor or Master diploma (for master and doctoral degree applicants), students who hasn’t graduated should provide an official statement from high school or university as a guarantee of the graduation date (Pre-Graduation Statement). (bit.ly/PreGraduationLetter) (bit.ly/PreGraduationLetter2)
5. High school transcripts (for bachelor degree applicants) and university transcripts (for master and doctoral degree applicants), page sorted from first semester to last or latest semester in one PDF file. Please contact your school to get ‘1 sheet’ kinds of transcripts. (bit.ly/ContohOnePageTranscript)
6. 2 (two) recommendation letters from your teachers in high school (for bachelor degree applicants) and two university professors (for master and doctoral degree applicants) along with letterhead, stamp from the school, and sign. Please also include the email and phone number of the recommenders.
7. Study Plan / Personal Statement, approximately 800 words (English/Mandarin) and must be signed with a clear name. You could check general personal statement points grid here (bit.ly/PoinPersonalStatement)
8. Additional requirements that apply vary from university to university, for example:
- Entrance Examination / Interview.
- Financial Statement (from Bank). (bit.ly/ContohFinancialCertificateProof)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV), you can check the sample or simply look up on google (bit.ly/Contoh_CurriculumVitae_CV)
- Certificate of Non-Criminal Record Report(SKCK) from the Local Indonesian Police. (bit.ly/ContohSKCK)
- Foreigner Physical Examination Form (Medical Check-up Report). (bit.ly/SayaratPengisianForm) (bit.ly/PhysicalExaminationForm)
- Documents number 4-6 above, MUST be translated into English / Mandarin by the school or a sworn translator, and need to be legalized.
- Please neatly SCAN each file in pdf format, the size must not be more than 1 MB (except the recent photo must comply with the requirements above), then upload everything into the system (www.greatwall.co.id).
1. Tuition Fee: RMB 115,000 (approximately USD $18,014).
2. Accommodation Fee: Annual accommodation fees RMB 1,200 (est USD $200). However most international students will receive a scholarship which includes accommodation.
3. Miscellaneous Study Fee: RMB 500 (est USD $80) per academic year.
4. Medical Insurance: RMB 320 (est USD $50) per academic year.
5. Textbooks: dependent on courses in addition to your study preferences, approximately RMB 1,200 (est USD $190).
6. Monthly expenses: dependent on lifestyle and preferences, approximately RMB 2,000 (est USD $315) should cover meals, power, water and entertainment.